RCU Forums - View Single Post - Multiple radios giving intermittent problems
Old 03-24-2023, 11:54 AM
GILBERTDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: Well 2.4 stuff can be tricky at times. The receiver must be installed properly, not just jammed in the fuse along with all the other radiating wires. take your time and locate the receiver properly. Use good connectors, some Chinese stuff if really bad. A lot of transmitters today have really dumb gimbal set ups. By this i mean the wires connecting to the control pots actually flex when you move the sticks. The more you fly the worse it gets. Open the transmitter and move the control sticks, if the wires move there is your possible gremlin, and trust me when I say it is very difficult to diagnose and very very intermittent. I had 3 transmitters that did this to me and they all had flexing pot wires. My old Futaba conquest 4NBF I think was the name, the wires did not flex and that radio never had an issue with any broken pot wires. I have seen far more crashes with 2.4 stuff then I ever saw with the low frequencies. So troubleshooting can be tough. Servo connectors are crimped, not soldered, so there is a possibility. I use to put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on each connector before i plugged them into whatever i was connecting, why you ask? To keep the oxygen away from the contacts so they would not oxidize and corrode and cause a poor connection. In the old days with AM you could pretty easily identify interference, then also with FM, but was more difficult ( I am not talking about some one else on your frequency). I just find the the new 2.4 stuff is more finicky, everything has to be right or the gremlins might get you. In the old days you flipped the switch and the radio was on, did not have to Boot up, same goes for these computer receivers, they have to boot up every time the supply voltage dives below threshold, while it is doing this you have no control. If your receiver takes a long time to boot, the closer to the ground you will get. Its a crap shoot, just make sure things are right and pay attention to detail when installing your radio equipment. Good luck and happy flying...