RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hooben 1/16 Mark IV Male Kit
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 07:28 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had a lot of challenges with gluing thinks together, especially with 3D printed parts. When I converted my 1/6 scale Dragon Sherman to RC and printed all the suspensions parts a lot of them needed to be "glued" together. I used PLA+ to print the parts and went through at least five different types of solvents to bond the parts. All failed as they all could easily be pulled away from each other. Then I tried some old solvent I had from WAAAAAY back in the day. Ambroid solvent, not manufactured for many years (of course my luck), but when I used that I could not pull the parts away from each other, and I mean really pull! The parts were welded together! YAY!

I bought a few bottles on ebay but have not found an equivalent solvent. I have not tested it on PLA+ with other materials like ABS and other 3D materials. I've had mixed results with Gorilla glues, both regular and gel. I found they have no shear strength so only work in certain applications. But I have a tube of each in my shop. LOL