RCU Forums - View Single Post - need iformation on old diesels
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Coxfledgling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Merlin

Hi beatsal,

I remember the clear plastic "squareish" fuel tanks well. I will try to postage a picture so you know what they look like.

Please post a picture of the end plate/rear c/case cover....

If I remember right the end plate has a central "spigot" that may be drilled and threaded to take a 4ba screw that you mention, to secure your tubular tank.

Does your tubular tank have a flat end plate, with the front end of the tank sitting in the recessed engine end plate ?

Soft fuel tolerant black rubber fuel hose can be "squashed" to cut fuel flow via a servo arm arrangement.

You could fabricate a servo controlled Venturi flap to control engine speed to some extent, and/or a servo controlled exhaust "ring" to restrict exhaust gas flow thus controlling engine speed somewhat.

In the past I have flown 2 channel RC planes with an uncontrolled engine, BUT, once you launch a plane of this type, you have NO ENGINE CONTROL whatsoever !!!!!!!!

These days I consider this to be very negligent !

You seem to be a tyro........

Powered free flight planes need a LOT OF SKILL to trim and fly and need LOTS OF SPACE to fly in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Are you based in Canada ?

Go to a club and have a look-see.....slope soaring is wonderful, RC gliders are good.
Your Merlin would power a smallish glider, 2 channel with a smallish tank giving say a 2 minutes engine run to gain hieght, then hunt for a thermal or just glide around for a little while and land. You will need a suitable flying site, the skills to fly it, any legal requirements satisfied and INSURANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!