RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 03:00 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I don't have an X-Ray machine either. I do rely heavily on experience instead. Aside from lifting the valve covers and setting valve lash, removing the rear cover for a look inside. The remainder is mostly a matter of touch and feel. I don't routinely take them apart.
Given a run, in most cases they run fine. Meanwhile, any further problems are dealt with as indicated. In most cases, those that pass initial inspection have done just fine.
On the whole I am way ahead as most of those engines have done very well without need for wholesale parts replacement.
Detecting a badly dimpled camgear lobe without visual inspection IS possible to trained eye and feel BUT, a troughed out lobe, badly beveled/worn tappets, excessive camgear endplay and excessive camgear to cam pin clearance IS NOT, at least not with degreeing the valve lift and duration against known specifications. Degreeing the valvetrain takes LONGER than simply removing the cam box for visual inspection and mechanical measurements, so that's my protocol and no one is going to tell me I'm over analyzing anything. Of course that's only speaking to camgear and tappet health, not even yet talking about other engine health related parts of which disassembly is also required.

Your method of inspection is inadequate for my purposes. I simply can't afford a hit on my reputation of providing flawless preowned engines to my buyers without complete disassembly and thorough inspection. To pass along an engine with undetected issues is just not going to cut the mustard.

I'm not in this for the money either, I just enjoy seeing these old engines become fully airworthy once again.

That's how I roll brotha.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 08-29-2023 at 04:52 PM.