RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCV Engines
Thread: RCV Engines
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2023, 04:16 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
Waking the dead. I have a opportunity to get 2 RCV 60 SP that have been ran and owner says they are locked. I search and have only seen two sold in the US in the last year. They sold new for under $200($195 and $125). I have had locked engines before 2c/4c and was able to work through the locked issues. A few questions

- What prices should I be looking at for a used/locked 60 SP, no good examples with the rare type engine?
- Any major concerns with an SP being locked that are different than your normal 2c/4c?
The SP engines are 4 stroke and operate quite differently than other engines. To start, they use a rotary valve system. They are geared 2:1. The valves and prop shaft is attached to the top of the cylinder sleeve. The cylinder sleeve rotates around as the piston goes back and forth. The crank shaft and cylinder are connected via beveled gears. They do require good lubrication. I have both a SP and a CD (the CD is geared 1:1). I have no experience with a seized SP engine. I am not sure if parts are available. RCV, the last time I looked, has stopped producing the SP and CD engines and now concentrate on more military and commercial products.

Scott