RCU Forums - View Single Post - New TopRC T-28 Trojan
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2023, 01:06 AM
planenutzz

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

busy couple of days, replaced a flickering LED light batten in my shed. This is about the 8th one so far and installing a much better brand.

Trail fitting of the UMS 180 to see how much timber needs to be shaved and whereabouts. As stated in previous posts I will grind a channel that will accept the exit pipes of the collector ring.
The front lip piece of timber won't need to be cut off, just a recess so that the bottom part of the collector ring will fit into.
Cowl lip to hub face will be 30mm, yes I'd like it to be much closer, around 15mm would be great but that means cutting far too much timber out of the front and moving nose leg rearward as far as it would go.

As it is there will be some use of carbon fiber to reinforce the front mount.
I managed to shorten the stub exhaust pipes by 15mm and refit the collector ring though I almost stuffed the thread on the bottom fitting. Very close thing.
Had to get the x 3 glasses on and a very fine file to re-create the thread enough to get the nut started.

In fact the standoffs will be 52mm, not the 72mm I thought yesterday, I was measuring something else, just as well I double checked this morning and re-drew my plan.
Standoffs I am using are 50mm but will have 2 large face washers under them. Holes were only 5mm in the standoffs so had to drill those out for the 6mm bolts I am using. Pedestal drills come in handy.

You can see in the photos how far in the engine will go once I cut the channel.

Recalcitrant light replaced

Pipes shortened by 15mm, first one done at the bottom.

You can see how much closer the collector ring is now to the cylinder heads but still plenty of room for cooling and spark plug leads.

15mm end bits cut off the stub pipes

Stand offs drilled to accept 6mm bolts.

Plan & measurements

Trial fit using longer 72mm standoffs to see where I need to remove timber.

Pipes will be 23mm closer to the firewall once I am done. You can see rough marking out.
The lip stays, just a shallow recess to allow the collector ring to fit rearwards over it.

This shows just how much the engine will move towards the firewall.

It looks good.

Last edited by planenutzz; 12-23-2023 at 01:09 AM.