RCU Forums - View Single Post - New TopRC T-28 Trojan
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 01:19 AM
planenutzz

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

More fiddling getting the clearance I need for the collector ring. Even though I was able to reduce distance by 15mm with my CR mod I still need to remove a lot of timber.
Bottom qat the front where the lip is will get a 9mm plywood doubler as far as I can go and not interfere with the nose gear mount.
There will be 4 x gussets of 9mm ply to brace the nose mount plate. These will be locked in hard against the 54mm plywood engine mount lamination.
Grain will go fore and aft.
Most of the triangular gussets that were fitted are rubbish, not sure what glue they use but it is very rubbery.
Nose leg needs to be moved rearward 10mm approx. I'll wait till I get engine mounted properly then I can double check just how far it needs to move.
Anyway it is slow going but progress none the same.

Pics to show the progress.

Engine mount lamination using 3 x 18mm hardwood marine ply. These are oversise and will be belt sanded to a snug fit within the engine box ply protrusion.

The 54mm ply engine mount lamination will fit snugly where I have ground away the old gussets. It will be epoxied to the main firewall.
The curved brace below will be ground flush and a 9mm triangualr gusst will be glued in with hysol and will be a snug fit against the mount lamination.
The opposite side will will he gusset removed and another 9mm gusset glued in as per other side.
2 more go on far edge where existing triangle stock is. That stock is rubbish.

More than I would like but can't be helped.

Still in the process of trimming in this pic.

Looks like still a lot of timber left here but other side is a different story.

That is pretty much all the trimming

That is the distance, standoffs are to get distance only and will be replaced with a 54mm plywood lamination.

Later lurkers.