RCU Forums - View Single Post - Some Questions for a newbe
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 10:09 AM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Reply to Offroadracer

Hi,

I read the AMA page for which you provided the URL link and did not find anything stating no registration is required inside a FRIA. Only the remote ID transmitter is not required inside a FRIA. It stated : "For a more detailed look at the requirements, view AMA’s Summary of FAA’s Final Rule on Remote ID. Please note that if your aircraft weighs at or under .55 lbs (250 grams), you are not required to comply with Remote ID or registration requirements." Notice the registration requirement is dropped only for UAS weighing 250 grams or less. Over 250 grams requires a registration regardless of where it is flown.

I also checked the link to the AMA's Summary of FAA's Rinal Rule on Remote ID and it stated:

"The Final Rule for Remote ID will have an implementation period before operators will be required to fully comply. A person operating in the NAS will need to comply with Remote ID requirements beginning March 16, 2024.

The registration requirements for UAS have remained the same. [1] You will need to register with the FAA and receive a unique registration number that must be displayed on all of your UAS. If you are complying with Remote ID via option 1 (Standard Remote ID), the serial number associated with the UAS you are flying must be registered under your unique FAA registration number. If you are complying with Remote ID via option 2 (Broadcast Modules), the broadcast module’s serial number must be registered under your unique FAA registration number."

The way I read it, flying in a FRIA does not exempt the registration requirement. It only deletes the Remote Identification requirement for a transmitter module or built in remote ID transmission. Remote ID and Registration are two separate issues. I have been known to be wrong as often as not and maybe I have missed something. It would be very valuable to me to know the basis for that requirement. So, would you be so kind as to educate me on the location and section of the rule that specifically states UAS registration is not required inside a FRIA (except for UAS <250 grams)? I'm sure the AMA would also like to know.

Thanks