RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Regulations Saga
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 09:40 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Regulations Saga

Doc,

Good points, just remember size shouldn't be the only factor. A large plane will most likely be easier to fly than a smaller one. A higher thrust engine might make that plane safer. A good example is the Eurofighter. Large plane, large engine, lots of drag = trainer type characteristics.

I agree at major events ther nerves of the day can alter a person's ability to complete their normal pre-flight routine. In other words a competent pilot may make mistakes. There is a lot of bravado at these events.

If you look at the KingCat, how would you classify that thing? It will fly as slow as any funfly plane and as fast as most sport jets.

Everyone keeps getting on the speed bandwagon. Many of the crashes I've witnessed had nothing to do with pilot competency or speed. Most were building errors or pre-flight misses. How do you regulate that?

Tony,

I must disagree with you "Right or wrong, most AMA members see turbine modeling as unsafe.". Unless you have a survey of all members I think you are way off base. Most members, I know, don't know anything about turbines and must be taught whenever one starts at our field. if you don't believe me take a turbine to any local field and prepare to start it. They will flock around and attempt to look up the rear "to see the flame". No fear is a far cry from deeming unsafe. If anything the presence of the fire extinguisher is what scares people.

I don't know Dave Brown nor would I presume to judge his motives. What I do know is the waiver process is already too limiting. Most of this process can't or won't be enforced. Many of the rules do not serve to "promote the hobby". Liability seems to be the buzz word without the facts. Since you know Dave...please ask him why are so many so overly concerned with what might happen and not paying any attention to what has already happened (Turbine flight and technology has become safer and more reliable, worldwide, with or without these rules).

Mark M.