View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 01:32 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Regulations Saga

ORIGINAL: Gordon_Dickens

ORIGINAL: rcdoc

I have to agree with Tony, that in the eyes of most jet modelers, the JPO is not their first choice.

Greg
Hi Greg,

There really isn't an alternative to the JPO since it is the only jet SIG recognized by the AMA. So, while you say that the JPO isn't the first choice for most jet modelers, I don't understand what their other choices are other than choose not to affiliate with any AMA jet SIG. Doing something constructive is alot better than doing nothing.

Why not join the JPO and become part of the process to make it better instead of standing on the sidelines? I invite each and every jet pilot out there that are not JPO members to join the JPO and help make a difference.

Gordon
Hello Gordon and all,
There must be a reason the JPO doesn't seem to be speaking for all Jet modeler's, and I believe the reason is the JPO's idea's come from a very small minority from within one of the smallest SIG's in the AMA. The facts are turbine wavered AMA members at best total less than 1/2 of one percent of the total AMA membership. Politically speaking we don't amount to a hill of beans, and some of you wonder why DB isn't totally moved by what the JPO or we want. I think DB knows the JPO doesn't speak for all of us, and at times only speaks for a few of us!

I for one don't believe our Jet turbine safety record indicates a need for more regulatory attention / change. Seems to me the powers that be within the JPO feel they must come up with something anything even if a need doesn't exist. Come up with something to justify their existence to the AMA and to us. I believe a history of actions like these are the real reason less than a majority of turbine wavered AMA members are members of the JPO. There are only seven hundred or so of us why couldn't a questionnaire have been sent to all of us for our in-put? Is it because our opinion isn't wanted?

I believe most Jet pilots would agree speed limits and or T/W limits are necessary. The question is should speed limits be correlated by aircraft type & manufacture, or just be an arbitrary number like the 200 mph. And then unless speed guns are used at Rally's to check & enforce speed limits, the only practical method of enforcement is the required use of the on-board speed limiters. I think the answer to this dilemma boils down to the required use of speed limiters.

The other issue I believe is critical for Jet modeling survival was addressed by the TRC, but not clearly enough for me. Water or some other means of crash site fire suppression should be on hand & ready for use, not just located somewhere at the flying site. Response time can be critical. I believe most of the other changes recommended by the TRC are nothing but busy work -- not predicated on any demonstrated need for change.

I haven't witnessed one crash or incident that would have been prevented by any of the new rules suggested by the TRC, have you? Anyone please tell us about the incident and make the case if you can!

I haven't attended one Jet Rally where safety was put on the back shelf. Aircraft incidents / accidents will happen no matter how regulated we become. Our most efficient method for improving safety is right at each Jet Rally. Any pilot demonstrating poor judgment or questionable ability should be documented and reported as such to the AMA. These reports then can be compiled and wavier revocation then can be considered by the AMA Safety committee.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099