RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Regulations Saga
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Jetjock51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Regulations Saga

Quote by RCDOC:
Gordon, I stand by my statement. Go to the 9 page thread on the issue and you will find a very well (better than my exhausted brain can do right now) about the options modelers have. Many choose to NOT fly at events...that's an option. Many choose to buy a dinner with their wife, or as I said some kero. SIG or no SIG, the JPO is not seen as worth the investment of a measely $25.oo by the majority of waver holders. The math speaks for itself. I've been a member for 6 or 7 years...to the chagrin of the 9 other jet flyers in the area.......not worth it to them. I hope you are more eloquent and able to convince others than I have been.
Remember, if something is not seen as worthwhile to an individual, there is no push for them to join/purchase/belong. Somehow the fence sitters need to be encouraged. Maybe this issue will do it.

Greg
[/quote]

Greg,

I am glad that you continue to support JPO. I think it is essential that we do so if we want to continue to fly turbine powered jets under the auspices of the AMA. However, I fail to see the logic for not joining JPO as stated by you above. I understand this may be the reason given by your 9 jet buddies, but I don't think they are valid reasons. With that kind of thinking, I guess the argument could be made that we should not support the AMA either. I believe, with it's 175,000 members, the AMA has a far lesser percentage of the total modeling community as members than the JPO has as a percentage of the total number of turbine waiver holders. It appears that JPO has approximately 1/3 of all waiver holders, while AMA has maybe half that number as a ratio of the total number of modelers in this country. Should we not support the AMA because they represent so few of the modelers in the nation? I don't think so. We need the AMA just like we need the JPO. Unfortunately, the majority always sits back and lets the minority do all the work to protect their rights, go through the laborious task of rules making, etc. As always, the same ones never fail to complain of being left out after the process is finished, in spite of multiple invitations to contribute. My feeling is, if they don't participate, they have no right to complain, just like going to the polls and voting. If you don't vote, don't waste your breath trying to tell me how it ought to be.

Dennis Lott
AMA voting member
JPO voting member