RCU Forums - View Single Post - E-starter hinges
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 01:07 PM
mnewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-<span class=

I've experimented with different kinds of hinges over the years and have found that using a strip of pre creased poster board and foam safe CA seems to work the best for GWS planes. Try to buy the cheaper poster paper avoiding the thicker and heavier paper. In a pinch typing paper will work but it tends to drink the ca and then stiffens and has to be broken in to have a smooth hinge. I cut a long slice in the control surface with a matching long slice in the elevator, rudder and ailerons, then using thick foam safe ca I run a bead on the top and bottom of the paper and insert it into the slice. This way I end up with a hinge that runs the length of the surface and, as a bonus, the paper and CA both add strength. The small GWS hinges are fine but I have never had much luck getting them glued in place the way I want and have had to redo them so many times that I sought alternatives.

But, as a word of advice, avoid using the supplied GWS glue. I use 5 minute epoxy for almost the entire construction and the foam safe CA for the more deleicate parts.

For the cowl I use a chunk of blue foam shaped to fit in the supplied cowl with a hole for the gear box cut out. Imagine the cowl is filled with foam except for the actual space occupied by the motor and gear box. After I tried this method I never crushed a cowl again. Its very time cunsuming to shape the blue foam but When you are finsihed and have had a crash you'll be glad you made the effort. You can also shape a new cowl using meat tray foam and a hair dryer if the damaged is beyond repair.