RCU Forums - View Single Post - 110" Dauntless project
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 01:34 AM
p51flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110" Dauntless detachable stab

Yes, we are going to make the whole elevator detachable. We are going to use a 16mm (5/8") diameter and about 16" long wing tube for the stabilizer. The stabilizer will be divided just at the panel lines which are close to the fuse/stab fairing. All we have to make are two new ribs on each side and replace some other balsa ribs with plywood ribs. And of course the holes for the wing tube.

Hide the control horns or not, that's the question. We still did not find the final solution. However, the tailcone will also be detachable and that part will be made of glass and epoxy. Although our SBDs are 10% enlarged the space inside that tailcone is still limited. There are the linkages and hinges for the two elevator halves, the torquerod for the rudder and the tailgear. The additional hinges for the elevator halves inside the fuse are absolutly necesary to make tight linkages from the servos to the control surfaces. A sloppy linkage almost claimed the live of my 100" P47.

But now I have to lay the two SBDs aside because as the crew chief of a vintage Schleicher K-8 glider I have to do the winter maintenance job for the next two weeks. The fuse of the K8 is getting a new dress, which means a new covering.

Joe