RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lazy Tiger P-51 ? Engine Rec./ Servo Rec. / Grass Landing?
Old 05-11-2002, 02:50 AM
Bill Aanstad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT51

Real fun little "sleeper" of a plane, a great flyer like all Fred Reese designs! I've flown 2 of them with OS LA40's, one with OS .32, and like them so well I'm putting one together with TT Pro 36 which should be a blast with APC 11x3 prop (although a 10x4 or 10x5 is fine too). A BB 25 would be adequate, anything less off grass might be a bit marginal. I modified the wing hold down (to avoid the embarrassment of forgetting rubber bands at the field) by embedding a dowel in the centersection (root ribs are 1/4" balsa) above the LE, and hollowed out a hole near the TE for a single 10x24 nylon screw to hold the wing, secured to a drilled & tapped wood block glued across the fuse along the bulkhead behind the TE. Covered the wing joint at TE with a piece of ply to spread the load, this is covered by the plastic airscoop. Only problem area is the wing joiner is 3 pieces of ply glued together into one really solid dihedral brace, but it's too thick to fit into the slot between the spars/sheer webs and needs a bunch of sanding, so be sure to pre-fit it carefully before mixing up the epoxy. The LG wire is somewhat soft, and may bend rearward after a few less-than-perfect grass field landings, making it hard to take off -- a bit more forward rake wouldn't hurt for grass takeoffs, or slightly larger wheels. Fun little plane. Standard servos are fine, wing cutouts are provided for either standard or mini's -- Hitec 225's would work great on ailerons, but the wing loading is extremely light even with standard servos (you just cut covering from whichever size servo hole you choose)