RCU Forums - View Single Post - Evolution engine, Need commend
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution engine, Need commend

I've lost count of the number of EVO EPS engines I've had students with this year. They're everywhere. Haven't had any problems with any of them.

The EVO EPS is NOT the same as the Evo .46. The EPS engine is a .45. I still don't know why this is, but it is. I don't know if the EPS and the .46 are ported differently, I suspect they might be.

One EPS was particuarlly tight at TDC, but that kind of thing is normal, and a tight engine is a good thing with ABC engines.

I had one where the needle limiters were set off a bit, but that was easily fixed.

I've seen several Alpha's have the fuel tank split at the stopper, or otherwise leak air.

I think the Extra Easy used to come with a MDS engine, and the early MDS engines have a badly designed carb that made them run very poorly. The new carb fixed the engine, but the engine's reputation is pretty much shot now.

Nilo, If the engine runs at full throttle for a few seconds then suddenly stops, it's too lean. Either it's sucking air from somewhere or the clunk is reversed or the line is kinked, or the needle is just set too lean. If the transition from idle to full power is slow, and shows hesitation, the low end might be too rich. Yes, it's possible to have the low end too rich and the high end too lean. The results would be very much like you describe. It's very hard to trouble shoot an engine over the web though, you're best off seeking help locally until you get someone to get it running right.