RCU Forums - View Single Post - SSC design parameters?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 07:01 AM
Lou Melancon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SSC design parameters?

CombatPigg,
I haven't heard the word FASCAL in years relating to covering and only then from the CL combat crowd. Are you and ex CL Combat guy? Do you have a Digital Camera that can be used to post a picture of your wing?

On airfoils I am using the Lee Liddle airfoil on my SSC planes. Although flat bottomed it turns tighter for me than others I've used. I think its thickness and blunt leading edge are what makes it work for me at SSC speeds.

For covering I used both fabric and tape this year. Each has its pros and cons. The reason for tape is ease of application and ease of repair. The downside is that you cannot easily paint it which you might want to do if building war birds. Ripstop normally has a coating on one side. This means that fluids can barely flow through it. This makes it more difficult to apply. Other fabrics like nylon or polyester without the ripstop weave allow fluids to flow through easily, making them easier to apply, but less tear resistant than ripstop nylon.

If you need to paint you will need to use fabric or some other paintable surface, otherwise tape is faster and far easier to apply and mend.