RCU Forums - View Single Post - Few Sig wonder ??
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
rifleman3754

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Few Sig wonder ??

I am an expert on Wonder's.

I have built now about 18 of them.

If you are planning to modify as I alway do with a 25 to 36 engine, the following is necessary for lasting results.

I have just finished my 17th and 18th heavily modified wonder. I replaced the fuselage with 3/16" balsa sides instead of the 3/32" with a doubler. I made the height and width of fuselage 1/2 " narrower. Instead of bulding up the front cowling area with a seperate side piece, I lengthened the fuselage sides.

the opening in the back of fuselage has been cut down just enough to allow the control horn to fit.

Replaced the 1/16" ribs with 3/32" using 0012 airfoil instead of the 0015.

The 1/4"X1/8" spruce spars are replace with 1/4"x/14" spruce.

I used 1/16" shear webbing for the first 3 ribs on each side and 1/16 balsa the rest of the way.

I replaced the motor mount firewall with a 1/4" ply.

The horizontal stab is 1/4" trangular stock inside of fuselage for strength.

The elevator, throttle and switch is at back of fuselage where the taper starts.

Use on elevator Hitech 225 for high speed plans work best and they are slightly less than 1oz each.

The replaced the first 2 inner ribs with 1/16" ribs with tabs and equally spaced them to the width of the inner fuselage and then was epoxied to the inside of the fuselage.

The wing is non removable.

I kept the hatch in the back stock, and replaced the bottom of fuselage with 1/8 lite ply as a hatch for access.

I installed vortex wing tips.

I shortened the vert stabs height and reduced the under hang to a max of 1/2". The first thing that breaks of even during a good landing is the vert stabs.

I replaced the 1/8 stabs with 3/16 inch and slotted the center and installed 1/64 ply for a razor sharp leading and trailing edge.

I did the same for all trailing edges on elevator and ailerons.

I used 1/4 inch tri stock and beefed up the joint top and bottom on vert stab full length.

The existing brass tubing for ailerons work fine. They are the same as for a Q500.

I installed a Ross.21 rear exhaust with 2.2 hp on # 17 and a Sx32 on #18.

I just had my 1st flight and plan has been clock at level flighton #17 at 205 MPH and 215PMH in a dive.

I also has 1st flight on #18 and clocked 168 MPH level and 187MPH in a dive with a certified radar gun .

I shorten the ailerons to the last 2 ribs at the end to prevent flutter.

Hope this helps, pictures will follow.

Mark