RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cub Kit
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piper Cub Kit

Hello Nilo:

Is the kit you are looking at the GP Cub? If so I can help you some. I just about have mine finished. It is a decent kit but I found that some of the parts fit is kinda poor. The wing tips and tail pieces are balsa die cut pieces. The die cutting stunk on my kit. The parts fit was terrible. Just be careful and sand to fit. The firewall was a nightmare to fit. The fuse sides just refused to be bent properly. Soak the tar out of the outer fuse so you can get the sides to fit flush with the firewall. bending them is tough so be patient. The fit was poor. There were gapps at the bottom of the firewall. fill them in with scrap wood. Also pay attention when you glue in the dihedral braces. They support the wing dowels. It is very easy to get the wing fit on the fuse off. You need to center the dowels in the opening to fit the fuse squarely. Take your time and all will be well.

Having said this the kit was a nice kit. Very light and great scale looks. The kit appears very strong. I like the engineering in it. I am covering it with 21'st century woven covering(and not Cub yellow!). I used CA to build it with some epoxy in stress areas. All in all a nice kit. Oh be ware of drilling the landing gear leg hole in the blocks. If you drill them as they suggest the gear will not fit. Move the holes inward just a tickle and all will be ok. Best of luck and enjoy.

Mark Shuman