RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to take ding out of wing tip?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to take ding out of wing tip?

ORIGINAL: timrob

Here is the end on shot.

CafeenMan, Yes I did a lot of the build, except I didn't sheet the wing (I consider the amount of time you take to sand the thing smooth far outweighs the time to skin a wing, I could be wrong). I glasses it myself, and considering this is my first real build, I think it came out well. I have learned heaps (like not to drop something you place many hours of work into!) Nice to see the your other inlays, I have admired your work on the How To's on the website. I forgot to mention that the wing is glassed, can the heating dings still work (for smaller dings) under glass, I wouldn't imagine so. Anyone tried? I feel your pain too about the gravel rash! Weathering is a good explanation. It isn't far from the truth.
You did a nice job on that wing Tim - ESPECIALLY for a first build, but it's good regardless. Hanger rash is something we all have to live with. No matter how careful you are, things are going to happen.

I think if you tried heating the glassed surface, you might have some problems with the epoxy softening, but it will harden again. The problem is it will probably become brittle. In other words, it might work and it might not. How's that for sitting on the fence.

As far as sheeting goes, you sand the skins BEFORE you put them on the wing. It doesn't take that long, but for most sport planes it's not worth it. I don't think they're much heavier than a D-tube because you still have glue on the entire rib for the cap strips. If you use contest balsa, then the extra weight is insignificant.

However, a sheeted wing in most cases does not fly noticeably better than a D-tube. Well, a good pilot can tell the difference, but I can't.

Anyway, it's nice to know there's another builder in our ranks. We're having a rumble at the lodge with ARFers on Wednesday. Hope you can make it. Bring a good bat.