RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Li'l Rascal
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Li'l Rascal

Mixed results with the Sig Li'l Rascal. As one poster mentioned, 9 oz is a bit heavy for a 29 inch wing, plus the wing area is rather small. See my attached picture comparing the Rascal to My Mini Piper.

The Rascal uses a 180 geared motor. The stock prop is too small and only offers marginal performance. Do not try and rise from ground with this plane, it will tip stall on take off.

In fact the plane tip stalls without warning when slowed for a landing approach unless you keep it in a straight line.

This is not a beginner's plane. It is quick and a bit unforgiving. Once in the air and up to speed it will fly ok, and will do some aerobatics including inverted flight. Hand launch only...or you will break the nose because it is likely to stall and cartwheel.

I use a larger prop on my Rascal which gives me the proper thrust the plane needs for stable flight. Landings are quick, and require your full attention.

It's a decent breezy day flyer...I had it in the air with a 12 mph wind today and it handled that pretty well, but again, landings are rather dramatic even with a breeze to provide more lift at landing speeds.

This is not a forgiving plane. The wing area is small and the tail surfaces are small. On the plus side, the plane looks really nice in the air. The bright red and white covering makes it very visible even from 50 yards away. A small plane needs to be bright and this one is.

I am using a 860 mah li-poly battery. The motor gets hot despite the large open area, but the battery only warmed a little, warm even after nearly 20 minutes of launches and landings and various maneuvers in the air.

When you launch it...climb, climb...get it into the air and then look for that tip stall so you can deal with it. It's waiting to get ya if you aren't prepared.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32923.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	84640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26283.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	84641