RCU Forums - View Single Post - FM or PCM Whats the diff
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re: How it works

The bottom line here.. if there is one. What works at one field may not work at another. What works on one plane, may not work on another.

I fly a JR 10X radio (what a work of art).

On FM - I have many JR FM (I really like the R700) receivers. I have used them on gas, glow and electric. At my field, they have all run flawless. When traveling, I have had hits, but no lost aircraft.

On PCM - I have several PCM receivers. The new JR 7 channel is awesome (under $100) as are the 9-channels. I have used them only on Gas and Helis. At my field they have been flawless. While traveling, I have had hits.

PCM and failsafe is overrated. The only time failsafe ever did any good for me is when someone "switched on" to my channel by accident. My plane lost signal but gave me enough time to scream at the offender and he shut his tx off. In that case failsafe saved my plane. I have had minor hits on PPM and PCM.

There is one case I would not use PPM for. HELIS. I would not fly a heli without PCM, and have not seen a heli fly very well with PPM. I have seen several crash and all had PPM receivers. All the machinery somehow interferes with PPM more than it appears to interfere with PCM.

Conclusion: If you have good equipment and maintain it (i.e. get it checked once a year, and replace crystals if crashed etc) you should not ever have lockouts with either system. I don't find either one better than the other except my observation with helis... in addition to the apparent noise immunity helis really need the added precision of digital servos and PCM, at least the way this pilot flies!

DP