RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Born to Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

Let's discuss how we R/C people think about this hobby....

I understand that most of the questions posted in this forum are mostly technical questions and discussions. But I hope to start a thread on something quite fundamental on why we find ourselves going year after year with this hobby.

I have started R/C hobby less than 2 months and as usual, before I plunge into any hobby like golf, fishing or etc, I would ask myself these usual questions:

* What do I gain from this hobby ? (technically, spiritually and ...)
* Why do I like it and how can I substain the interest forever and ever without falling out of love with it ?

PLUSES (+):

The reason why I love R/C plane (at least for now) is
- I enjoy doing handicraft (woodcraft and building, as a kid, I like lego)
- I am trained in mechanical field (love engines).
- Classic warplanes, and aerobatic planes are too beautiful to look at.
- Seeing that experimental craft that I have built takes to the air. (Wright ?)
- It's a hobby that combines Handicraft (craftmanship), Mechanical Knowledge say aerodynamics, Electro-mechanical knowledge, creativity (color schemes to match with).

MINUSES (-):
- Too expensive. One careless mistake and I would say "bye bye" to the $800 plane.
- I will have to put up with the side effects of inhaling "glow fuel" exhaust (somehow).
- Bad for the eyes (if I let the UV rays harm my eyes staring in the sky).
- Can be frustrating buildling the kit at times, when the box has one missing part or more.
- Spend time arranging the plane of huge scale, rather than doing other housekeeping.
- Buying too many R/C magazines and reading the same pages over and over again and admiring the half-completed planes before bedtime.
- Wake up in the middle of the night thinking how to rearrange the servos to prevent hinge interference. And sketching my thoughts on paper.
- Talking to uninterested friends on what knife-edge is all about.

Having said that, I am not sure, how long can I substain this interest ? I mean I am crazy about R/C planes now, but I am not sure what about the future ?

Is it a hobby that you will really gain in any way (besides making you occupied and happy like any other sports)?

How many years are you in this hobby (and what keeps you going on and on with it ?)

If someone were to ask you why do you like R/C planes, can you convince them it's more than just child play as some may think.

Let's share your thoughts....

It's not a technical question but a reflection....

cheers..,,,