RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...
Old 12-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

Hi,

I started this hobby many years ago when I saw a model plane apparently flying by itself in a field. I went over and found it was controller “remotely” by a transmitter. It was magic and just had to find out how it was done.

I started the hobby with an old “reed” radio and then graduated to proportional with in a couple of months.

This hobby taught me many skills and some of the most important are:
1. The different types of glues and where to use them.
2. How to solder electrical connections.
3. How to solder wire.
4. The proper use of different building materials.
5. How to use standard tools, electric tools, and make special tools as needed.
6. Understand model engine operation.
7. Understand carburetors and fuel adjustment.
8. Understand how pitch and diameter affect flight and engine performance.
9. Hand to Eye co-ordination.
10. Aerodynamics, center of gravity and control surface affect on flight.
11. How to paint properly.
12. How to use covering materials.
13. How to properly describe problems and repairs in writing and by phone.
14. How to use the internet to problem solve and shop.
15. How to take instructions and advise from others.
16. To keep my mind open and accept new technology.
17. The satisfaction in helping others to learn.
18. Humility after a “showing off” crash.

On top of this is the satisfaction of getting a stubborn engine to work, a crashed plane to fly again, and the calming affect after a rough day.

The one thing I found is that aircraft modelers, above all other people I have worked with, are willing to help and share their special techniques with anyone who asks for help.

My career was doing support for mechanical and electrical equipment around the world, starting with tube type computers, in the latter years I worked with modern aircraft and lasers. The things I learned in this hobby always assisted me to get the job done by being able to use alternate and creative methods, especially when stock parts were not available in foreign countries.

I’ve retired now, but this hobby still keeps me learning (I’m now starting electrics) and the fellow modelers super people.

As soon as my grandchildren are old enough, I’ll start them into the hobby.

For the younger people starting this hobby, I hope you get as much out of it as I have, and will pass it on to others.

Wayne Miller