RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Li'l Rascal
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 01:12 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Li'l Rascal wing modification

The Lil Rascal is my first Park Flyer type in many years, I am mostly an IMAC and jet flyer, so my wife thought this would be a nice change of pace as an Xmas gift (she thought it was 'cute' as well).

Just flew it yesterday...like most everyone has already said, it was also a bit 'snappy' for me. I spun it in once, fortunately into soft dirt with no damage, after a too-quick recovery from an (intentional) spin at low altitude. Up until then, I thought it flew OK if a bit more sluggish than expected with an 8-cell 300 maH NIMH pack. Then again, it was a bit windy with lots of turbulence below 50' due to some upwind trees (couldn't wait to try it out).

It really needs to fly on the wing, and not the prop, or it will snap on you! I found landing it very easy, power off, no problem...just keep the speed up on those downwind turns....nice landings on packed dirt/cropped grass soccer field with a 2-3 foot rollout. It does nice 2 channel aerobatics - loops, rudder rolls, barrel rolls, Immelmans, stall turns, Cuban 8's, snaps, and a WICKED power-on accelerated stall/snap - I got 2 1/2 very fast snaps from level flight into an inverted spin/tumble (that I did not quite recover from, no damage though). I'm going to try it again but higher than 50' next time!

Given the wing planform and weight/wing loading, I don't think this would be a good chooice for a beginning or intermediate model.

Hangar-Flyer, what size GWS prop are you using? The stock one makes lots of noise but not nearly enough thrust - I am landing with 20-30% battery capacity left due to the sagging power. I'd like to re-prop with something more efficient.