RCU Forums - View Single Post - The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

Lots of great ideas here. But somewhere I would have a set of kitchen cabinets above the work area. Maybe above and below the work bench. Room for storing spare wood, servo's ect. I would put down a linolium floor. Easy to clean and better than bare concrete. The linolium and cabinets can be cheapies. They are noot for looks but for a purpose. Form follows function. As others said a pile of sockets above the work bench. Room for tools, I see Grizzley has mobile bases for tools. Would be nice to have an area where you can work with them. Then when done roll them out of the way. Do not forget lighting!!!!!! I would use 2 sets of flourescent lights on 2 switches. To vary the amount of light. I would also put track lighting all around the room. With multiple spots on them. Would allow you to put light right where you want it. Flourescents are best for low eye strain. It must have heat and AC!! And I would add a small refrigerator for beverages (Coke for me, I don't drink alcohol, Maybr that is why I'm nuts). One wall I would do up with peg board. Just to hang tools and stuff from. I like Flyboys idea of a 4x8' walk around island for working or building on. I like the idea of a roll around bench. Tool companies also make roll around trays. Sears sells them. One would be helpful to cart tools and glue around. And last but not least a seperate area for storage of finished ready tro go airplanes. Oh yea I live in the northeast and basements are the norm. But elsewhere they are not. I suggest you look seriously into a full or partial basement. The cost of the foundationwork is minimal compaered to adding a room or two onto a plan. You also can then go with a standard plan. Changing things over standard offerings is dreadfully expensive. Also basements are more energy efficient for our needs. Less cooling in the summer and warmer in the winter. I know this is a long post but I felt I could really help here.

Mark Shuman