RCU Forums - View Single Post - F.Y.I. APRA Rules Enforcement At Whittier
Old 05-28-2002, 03:25 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT PRO40 Modifications

These questions (good ones, I might add) have been asked before. Remember that the INTENT of the "stock engine" rule is to prevent racers from improving performance. Jim Allen has said that he will allow glued, welded, or bolted mufflers (these modifications should only improve durability and save everyone money.....a good idea in an entry-level class). His test? Run the muffler then check it against a known-stock muffler. If there is any gain in performance (which there shouldn't be) then the modified muffler will be allowed.

A few people have had problems with the carb barrel retention bolt breaking or falling out; the carb barrel slides out, the engine dies, and the spring usually finds its way into the engine (damaging the case and crank). Solution? A rubber band holding the barrel onto the carb in case the bolt fails. Many are even removing the spring. While these simple modifications just keep the engine falling apart they are still MODIFICATIONS. Should they be allowed? I think so. There is no performance advantage other than keeping the engine together. It is my opinion that such modifications will not hurt the class and should be allowed. does anyone have an official ruling on this?

How about bearings? We used to change them because the stock TT bearing would fall apart and ruin the engine. Installing the good Boca bearings gives improved durability and performance (even if only by a few hundred rpm).

What happened to the engine claimer rule? Wasn't it designed to keep racers from investing too much time (or money) in their engine (knowing that anyone could claim their "ringer" for $100?).

Comments, anyone?????????????/