RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever had a problem when swapping crystals?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:58 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever had a problem when swapping crystals?

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I don't get it, the rules says not to change any of the internal parts. To get to the crystal you pry off a panel, thereby GAINING ACCESS TO THE INTERNAL PARTS and then change the crystal. This is most defintiely against the regulations.
The crystal on my old transmitters are protected by a plastic dust cover. The obvious purpose of the cover to a reasonable person is that it protects the crystal from dirt and allows the "end-user" to change it WITHOUT removing screws and going inside the transmitters internal components. In fact, I have an old Cirrus Tx, circa 1976 (I believe OME from Futuba), where you must in fact, open up the back of the transmitter to get to the crystal. The original Futuba design must have been improved to allow easier access to this user component.

It is on the front of the transmitter where all the other "user" switches, buttons and other user access points exist. It is not glued in and doesn't require any special "prying" equipment to remove. It comes off with your fingers (you don't even need to use your finger nails most of the time) and takes a little less force to remove than holding back the training switch and the other user definable features of the radio. Underneath this front dust protector, you gain access to the crystal only....NO OTHER internal components or RF circuitary is accessible. The crystal can be pulled out with your finger tips. A new crystal can be inserted and the crystal cover clips back on in the exact same fashion.

Now, if the cover was metal and had screws and required a screwdriver to remove....then maybe your would have a point. The cost of Futuba to make the cover out of metal and manufacture it at the same time and fashion screws would be nearly equivalent to the special injection molding process required to make this special plastic cover. So the only obvious reason to make this out of plastic is to make it even easier to get to this crystal without even so much as a screwdriver.