RCU Forums - View Single Post - Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
gus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?

ORIGINAL: jrpnde

In addition to all the many good reasons to not drink any booze if you're planning to fly there is one more. I live in Upstate New York. This state is one that has lowered the max. blood/alcohol level to 0.08 for drivers. Not always but most of the time flyers drive themselves to and from the field. A seasoned drinker is not drunk at .08 but the law is so strictly enforced with police checkpoints, etc. that any sensible person driving doesn't even want to walk the fine line whether they're over the limit. Stay away from those drinking flyers and hope they don't drive the same roads as you on the way home.
Aha .... finally, someone (other than me) has finally made sense! People "over the limit" should not be driving.....

So, I know (since I used to have access to a breathaliser in my 'varsity days) that I can quite happily have 2 beers and still be far under (at least 0.02....). That means I can have one beer at alunch, and one at the field afterwards, and still drive myself home quite safely.

I guess if the cops (and society) think it is ok to pilot my not-quite-ballistic motor-car safely then it is quite OK to fly a 10lb model as well.

Still have not heard a reasonable reason why a beer before flying is such an evil malicious unsafe sin! All I have heard is that too much of a good things i not good!

gus