RCU Forums - View Single Post - JPO Position Paper Regarding The New Turbine Regulations
Old 01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: JPO Position Paper Regarding The New Turbine Regulations

Where does that leave a requirement for a speed control integrated in the ECU, such as a couple of the top selling turbines have available? There seems to be reasonable arguments against the add-on series type unit.
Point taken, but what about all those hundreds of older engines that don't have this feature? Turbines are approved as engine/ECU combinations and substitutions require re-qualification. What manufacturer is going to resubmit all existing, out of production engines and get approval?

What most of us have a problem with is the idea that all jets must have one, regardless of top speed. Why should I have to add a limited to ensure that I don't exceed 200 MPH when my airframe isn't capable of exceeding 200 in a dive, with a really good tail wind. Most planes just have too much drag to even approach 200. On that thought, you may want to read a thread over in the jet section about an F-18 with what I believe is a 34 lb thrust engine where the pilots talk about how full throttle doesn't make the plane any faster than 1/2 throttle, but the vertical is amazing. I could live with the limiter idea if it was reserved for planes capable of exceeding 200.