RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5000+ feet video flight
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5000+ feet video flight

One thing that I think everyone missed is that Rudeboy is in Belgium so any AMA rules wouldnt apply to him anyway. Also, an AMA rule was quoted here, not an FAA law. I do know that to launch a rocket above 30,000 feet you need an FAA waiver and they need to open up a window where no air traffic will cross. Saw that on either TLC or Discovery a couple of months back.
It is quite possible that in Belgium, where Rudeboy is, it IS illegal to fly above 300'.
If so, it must suck for RC glider pilots!
ORIGINAL: RichLockyer

ORIGINAL: Rj-TailSpin
As long as the plane remains in visual range and we can see which direction it's pointing... this would be the limit to altitude and distance. Am I right?
You would be 100% correct. The only rule covering altitude is #2:
ORIGINAL: AMA Safety Code
"2) I will not fly my model higher than approximately 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. I will give right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity
of full-scale aircraft. Where necessary, an observer shall be utilized to supervise flying to avoid having models fly in the proximity of full-scale aircraft."
Like KE4UVQ said, there's one in every crowd, like in another thread where Balsa Master swears that launching a rocket glider qualifies as a guided missile and will land you in Guantanamo.

Note that in rule #2, flying above 400ft IS permitted near an active airport, so long as the airport operator has been informed of the activities.