RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5000+ feet video flight
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 11:47 PM
RichLockyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5000+ feet video flight

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

One thing that I think everyone missed is that Rudeboy is in Belgium so any AMA rules wouldnt apply to him anyway. Also, an AMA rule was quoted here, not an FAA law. I do know that to launch a rocket above 30,000 feet you need an FAA waiver and they need to open up a window where no air traffic will cross. Saw that on either TLC or Discovery a couple of months back.
It is quite possible that in Belgium, where Rudeboy is, it IS illegal to fly above 300'.
If so, it must suck for RC glider pilots!
I can guarantee you that AMA regulations would be as strict, or more restrictive than FAA laws. It's pretty obvious from the wording of the AMA rule that it is within FAA guidelines... and that is one of the few AMA rules that just MIGHT land you in deep trouble if violated.
I'm not familiar with the rocketry rules, but if an FAA waiver is required, you can bet your butt that the 30k ceiling is noted. Of course, 30,000 is far above the indicated 5,000, and well above the flight envelope of a normally aspirated model engine... heck, the air force had problems getting WWII fighters above 15k without superchargers. Isn't the ceiling of a 172 around 9k?