RCU Forums - View Single Post - Good First Planes
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good First Planes

You've probably noticed that I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. I had originally intended to update the thread more frequently, even daily. Unfortunately, I ran out of planes that I had personal experience with to review

There are many more great first planes out there, but a guy's only got so much time, so much money, and so much desire to fly "beginner" planes... If you've helped someone learn to fly on an airplane, tell us about it! Send me a PM with a write-up of the plane. Make sure you include exactly what you used to fly it, and any modifications you made to the plane to improve its durability or flyability.

The following review was submitted by Mikerjf:

Suggested that my club buy an electric trainer to keep in the lockbox at the field. Plane had to

meet the following criteria:

1- Easy to fly, responsive, durable, easy to repair and affordable.

2- Capable of using standard radio gear.

3- Flyable in wind better than our average 5-10mph.

4- Fairly large with a removeable wing.

The Multiplex Teddy fit the bill nicely and as I've got a lot of experience with my Nieces I went to order one and found that the Teddy's been replaced by the Easy Star.The Multiplex Easy Star's slightly larger than the Teddy (54inch span), made from Elapor (EPP) foam, has a two piece removeable wing with a fiberglass spar, it's 3 channel and can be setup to use anything from micro to standard gear and it's powered with a direct drive 6v speed 400 (pusher). It also looks alot swoopier than the Teddy and most importantly, they didn't call it the Teddy II.
I ordered the kit which comes with the motor and prop for $64. The RTF version is $187 and comes with a Hitec 3 channel AM radio and Multiplex gear. Assembling the kit only takes an hour or two. The airframe consists of 9 pieces that key together and fit up nicely. The Elapor foam requires CA for assembly so it goes fast. The other 18 pieces are the control cables/housings, canopy and locks and the motor and prop. Multiplex has the motor and servo's CA'd in, this plane will see a lot of use, so I chose to make them removeable. Glueing a Speed 400 motor plate to the face of the motor housing and cutting a tape on hatch in the motor cowling took care of the motor. Two pieces of 1/8 lite ply glued into the servo cutouts allow the servo's to be screwed in. The plane is setup with a Hitec 4 channel transmitter, standard Hitec receiver, GWS 15 amp ESC, two Bluebird mini servo's and an 8 cell 1600mah nimh (AA) pack. Made a styrofoam filler block that fits tightly into the canopy (and secures the receiver in the nose). The battery pack sits on the foam, centered in the canopy opening, putting the CG on the money. All up weights around 25 ounces.
First flight was on a cold and windy (~12mph G20) day and it required very little trimming. Our field is fairly confined and I found the rudder a little too unresponsive for a tight area in these conditions. Moving the clevis to the innermost hole on the control horn solved that problem and now it's actually a little too much. I would suggest using the innermost location and selecting a hole in the servo arm that gets 50% more throw than Multiplex reccommends for the first flight. Also, put the clevises in the control horns before glueing the control horns to the control surfaces unless you enjoy assembling very small parts in very akward places. Subsequent flights showed that the plane has no bad habits. At full throttle it's fairly fast with the 8 cell pack, loops are no problem and with a load of down elevator it can fly inverted, rolls are very sloppy but can be done with enough altitude and the plane specks out pretty quick. At half throttle it maintains altitude and provides around 20 minutes of flying on the Buddy Box. Power off is very controllable and the plane slows to a walk when landing. I spend most of my time with 3D stuff (electric and glow), but it's always a pleasure to fly something this relaxing that flies so well. If you're looking for a keeper, this is it.