RCU Forums - View Single Post - Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 08:59 PM
dragnaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

I have looked at the eyetop and I'm not sure.........I have a set of Olympus video glasses, and if anyone is thinking (like I was) that it would be great to fly with the glasses only; THINK AGAIN! You lose a HUGE amount of spatial reference and positional awareness (not to mention getting rather nauseated almost immediately) trying to fly with the glasses alone.

I'm pretty proficient with the DF (close to 100 hours) and haven't crashed it in a LONG time, but every time I try to fly with the glasses, it's on the ground (sometimes in more than one piece) almost immediately.

They are useful for shooting video. My camera person (SWMBO, A.K.A. my wife) wears them while I'm flying to monitor what I'm shooting. She finds it a lot easier to keep track of what is being recorded and direct me into a new position or attitude with the glasses than with the viewfinder on the video camera.

Although since getting the DF I've got the helicopter bug BAD (4 other conventional helis and counting) I still find that the DF is the most trouble free fun of any of them, not to mention the toughest by far! I have crashed it many times, several with considerable speed and altitude, none with damage so severe that it wasn't back in the air in under an hour.

As for the Pro, I saw it fly at the factory in Saskatoon........IT IS AWESOME! A lot of $, yes, but the day I saw it fly the wind was blowing about 20kmh and gusty, and it handled it with virtually no problem. It is a lot bigger, heavier and has a much higher ifting capacity, and the engineering is really something to see. I see it as all being relative; I know a couple of guys who are flying scale helicopters that they have well over $5000. invested in. They are beautiful to watch, and I'd love to own one.....I'd love to own a Pro too. If you can justify the purchase price of either, then they're well worth the money.

Wayne
(no, I don't work for Draganfly Innovations, but I am darn sure impressed with their products!)