RCU Forums - View Single Post - Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 04:53 PM
mmuntner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel smoke

ORIGINAL: hobbsy

I've got a TT .42 GP coming, my first Taiwan engine, some Diesel concentrate from RedMax to mix with some BioDiesel that I bought over a year ago and a RMTeo head to try. The concentrate is 65% ether, 30% castor and 5% ignition enhancer, I believe mixing a quart of this with two quarts of the bio fuel will make a fuel of about 20% ether, 10% lube and 1.5% enhancer. I actually got the bio to fire a few times in my Fox .74 conversion without anything added but had the compression maxed out. It smelled like Pam getting hot in a skillet and made a visible puff of smoke. If someone would like to refine my percentages, go for it. The bio has plenty of lubricity of its own, hence the 10% lube. Any thoughts welcome. I am going to order some Davis concentrate also, in the interest of science. Talk to me.
Way too little ether and lube! what you really want is about 33% ether, 20% total real lubricant (Heavy-duty like castor oil, in a bushed-bearinged engine like your TT). Just add just ONE QUART of either kerosene or aromatic lamp oil. That will leave you with 20% castor oil, 32.5% ether, 2.5% cetane agent (ignition improver), a generally recommended mix for any but very small engines which are deemed to require more ether.

Whoever told you that a sport engine would run well or even survive for very long on the ratio you mentioned must have been thinking that you wanted to fly in FAI team racing.