RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need Basic Training!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 12:50 PM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Basic Training!

Hi guys, I'm an old R/C er that is in need of some basic info on electrics. I can build a gas or nitro motor from bar stock but don't know diddly about electrics. I just need straight answers on BASIC equipment - PLEASE, no complicated formulas or advice on some high dollar hotrod motor! Keep it simple.
I'm about to build 2 old ACE PUDDLEMASTER float planes. One for me & one for my Dad. He's even older than me! I have a Carl Goldberg Turbo 550 7.2v that came with the puddlemaster kit. It has one little flat, round brown thingie on it that has a 750 on it, the wires are soldered on with the red going to a switch and the black has a fuse then they both run into a white plastic connector. I also got another motor the same size that just has a sticker on it that says RS-550SH. There is a white wire & a blue wire soldered to it but they have been cut off. It has 3 of the round brown flat thingies on it and one cylindrical black thingie with a silver stripe at the top. One of the brown things is smaller that the others and one of them has a broken wire. The tiny one and the black can are soldered to the wire tabs, the other 2 are soldered to one of the wire tabs ( on the "blue" side) and then to the case.
What are the little thingies soldered on the motors? Resistors? What are they for? What do I need to do to make these "flight ready"?

I also have an old 1/2 A Tigermoth drawing & a couple of Graupner Speed 400 motors. Are the speed 400 motors big enough for a 1/2A (.020-.049) size Tigermoth? I know I have to keep it light. The Speed 400 motors are new & came with solder. Do I need some of the little brown thingies? Where do I get them? Radio Shack? Same question as above - what do I need to make them "flight ready"? How do you put a prop on it? what size props for the 400 & 550 motors? Does that size translate to anything in english? How do I wire/attach this whole mess up so I can fly with it?????????
Oh yea, I have a couple of 1400mah 7.2v nicad packs/chargers with the same connector as the Goldberg 550 motor. When I plug the battery into the motor & flip the switch it goes like crazy!
Thanks!
Larry