RCU Forums - View Single Post - pull start
Thread: pull start
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Billyman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pull start

The coil spring always breaks where it has been bent (that’s the weak spots). The break occurs where it fits into the housing where some elaborate bending has taken place or the “J” bend where it”s actually held in place and wound onto the wheel (round thingie that the rope is attached to).

Now most folks have their own procedures but here’s mine.

Billyman’s guide to recoiling the recoil:

1) Get comfortable and find something entertaining that doesn’t require your hands (you’ll need those for the job you’re about to perform). TV works well, watching a movie, a show, whatever. Trust me when I say you don’t want the recoiling to have your undivided attention. You’ll wind up disgusted, aggravated and possibly throwing it across the room screaming words that your mother would ground you for a month for saying. And you don’t want that. If you are old enough to drink, get some alcohol, this will help ease the tension also (takes the edge off). If you are not old enough to consume alcohol, I feel very sorry for you.

2) Depending on which end broke, you’ll need to take a pair of needle nose pliers and mimic the bends on the broken piece (it doesn’t have to perfect or exact but it must be close enough to fit). After you’re satisfied with all that, it’s time to get lost in that movie or watching the cars go by on the street (If you have alcohol, it’s time to start sipping).

3) Start by carefully examining the direction every thing will have to go. There’s nothing more earth shattering than winding and winding only to find you’ve done it backwards.

4) Now, place “J” bend in wheel and using your thumbs on the top (not the spring side) and your middle and index fingers on the bottom (spring side) apply pressure and start rotating the wheel using your fingers on the “loose” end of the spring as a guide and alternating pressure from hand to hand while turning.

5) After every few turns, hold tightly with one set of fingers and pull the excess “loose” spring tightly. You need to create a very tight wind.

6) By now, you may realize that you need a tissue or paper towel to sop up the blood where you’ve cut your finger. Suck it up and be a man, just bleed all over it!

7) Hopefully, at this point, you’ve got a tight wind and ready to install into the case, the rope is all twisted but don’t worry, you can straighten that out in a bit.

Fit number one.

Yep, it’s backwards. Throw it on to the floor and watch and hear it unwind (you have to be quick for it does this very quickly, guzzle alcohol, take a breather.

8) Repeat steps 1-7 but do it in the correct direction this time.

Fit number two.

You’re fingers and thumbs are starting to hurt but you’ve got too far to stop now. Can’t...hold it...any...long...er...must...(neat springy noise is heard so may be the cursing). Take a breather, loosen those stiff muscles in your fingers and hands by doing the “mommy pick me up” thing that kids do, drink more alcohol.

You should understand why I suggested having something else on your mind by now. A 10 minute job has turned into 40 and it still isn’t fixed. Press on.

9) This is where you may scream “SUCCESS!!!!” and do a little funky dance or something. It’s wound tight, in the right direction, and all you have to do is insert it into the case. Holding it firmly with one set of fingers, hold it as close to or in the housing as possible. With your free hand wielding a small screwdriver, pull and push, the elaborate bent end into the housing (it may not go all the way but as long as it hooked you’ll be ok). Set aside screwdriver and grab dangling rope. Quickly push the wheel with it’s newly wound spring into the housing. Holding it down firmly with your thumb in the center, let the rope wind itself slowly around the wheel.

Now install on engine?

No.

10) You now realize that there is two inches of rope hanging out of it and won’t go back in because the winding wasn’t tight enough and you have to do it all over again.

I told you a movie and alcohol helps.

If you've broken the rope you'll still have to go through all that sh** just without bending the spring.