RCU Forums - View Single Post - wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived

The wing tips appear to be a little bit more rounded off compared to the old one, but it could be just an impression of mine...
For the rest the outline and shape of the plane looks identical.

I suppose all the "new" stuff can be found in the design and construction department (which could do with a little improvement IMO)
The old one was nice too, but just lacked a bit in construction quality.

Miskin, how's the wing fit by the way? Mine had a terrible gap between the wing and the fuse... I corrected it with TEC-7

Magnums do glide like a brick, compared to any plane I have flown. Most fast planes (pylon planes) glide forever... in fact you can have a hard time getting them down with a little bit too much speed... you must really "bleed them to death"...
The Magnum OTOH drops out of the sky like nothing I have seen before. When your engine quits, you better make sure you're lined up for landing or have sufficient altitude.
But like SJN said, it has no bad tendencies, except for the fact that you run out of elevator fast when speed bleeds off... dual rates are very handy things to have...
It all sound worse than it really is, except for when your engine quits at the wrong moment (believe me, it happens)... when it happens there's only one thing left to do: where ever you put it down, put it down gently and wings level (goes for all planes basically).
I had to retrieve mine out of the fields a number of times, and except for some dings and scratches on the belly the plane comes through fine. They are pretty sturdy.

With the 8x8 the hand toss can get pretty hairy, until you figure out the right technique... My technique is: get your engine running properly! You should have more thrust than weight, even on the 8x8. With enough thrust you can launch almost straight up, and it will just keep on going. If you launch horizontally you get all sort of strange things, basically caused by lack of airspeed (lift) and lots of engine torque... and little room for correction! If it's going straight up you can let it do all that strange stuff without having to worry about the ground...
With a 9x6 or 9x7 I suppose it will take off like rocket, and it will speed up before it has time to act up. But that's just an assumption, because I've never tried anything besides the 8" props.

Fuel doesn't last long. At the moment I am still breaking in a new piston and liner so I have mine slightly rich (on 20% nitro with a lower compression) and I guesstimate it goes through a tank in 3 to 4 minutes. (will time tomorrow if I can get out to the field) Compared to my GRRT that is still very economic though... that one lasts about 2 minutes on a comparable tank.
It's just something you have to live with: the faster your engine goes, the more fuel it uses... after all, all that power has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?