RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Models Super Sports Senior Construction Diary and Review
Old 06-11-2002, 07:26 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day Two - Landing Gear & Wheel Pants

Well, I finally ran into something with this model that I do not like. Althought not a big issue, the landing gear wire axle section is a tad bit too long and the inside of the wheel pant needs additional support, (more on this later). Otherwise, the gear wire is robust and the pants look like a new car, perfect. I just want them to stay that way.

The next step for me was to attach the landing gear wire. The gear is supported by a generous hardwood block and slides into this with a perfect and snug fit. You hold it down with some gear hold downs and heavy screws.

(I wish that these guys would use socket heads instead of phillips!!)

When you cut the covering before putting the wire in place, just make a single slice right down the middle. The gear will mash it down from there, and you will have a little protection from the fuel. Make sure you pre-drill the hold down holes so you will not crack the hardwood.

Now on the Pants, I felt like I needed to add a little ply to reinforce the locking hole inside the pant. See the pic. I just cut a rectangle and drilled the hole to fit. I then pushed it on the axle and glued and clamped it in place. Then I pulled out the axle, simple and adds support.

In order to make the pant fit correctly on the gear wire, I had to grind the end down about 5mm. No biggie, grinder and 30 seconds was all it took. (Thanks Mom for the grinder!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14005_893.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	9011