RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying techniques: wind
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 PM
darthdrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying techniques: wind

I would first learn to fly in the wind in an open area away from homes, cars, and people. You can be amazed at how fast something can happen especially if you arent use to flying in that condition. I almost lost my Heli in a big open area flying in the wind as a newby. I fought to get it back close to me and the wind kept taking it further and further away. I had to ditch it because it became a speck in the air and I couldnt tell whether it was comming or going. It took me about 1-1/2 hours to find in the tall sage brush. only damage missing z-link. Now, after much practice i can now navigate the wind pretty good. I can fly pretty confidently in 5-10 mph winds. Above that Im grounded. You always want to keep your nose into the wind as much as possible. In fwd flight you have to be careful especially comming out of a turn into the wind. If your nose is down, the heli will want to drop very quickly because the wind will be pushing the aircraft down. that is why you want to try to keep the nose close to level as possible. If your nose is to high and comming out of a turn and into the wind, your heli will want to balloon up quickly. One thing to remember the lower the rpms of the mainrotor translate into less tail rotor effectiveness. best thing Ive found to be able to fly in breezes up to 10 mph is to add weight. My added weight comes from my bodies such as the Bell222, huey, Hughes 500, etc... I also have made my own custom landing gear. 4-4 blade grips are a must. I fly using 4-4 blade grips all the time. And you have to practice. They say practice make perfect. Ive learned to just about do spot landings in the wind. when landing, remember nose in the wind.