RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Sportster 90/120
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 01:38 PM
TRoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Sportster 90/120

I considered going with a G26 in Sportster 90/120 I'm building prior to going with the OS FS120. With the G26, I saw more issues than I wanted to deal with.

First was weight and balance: the G26 I have weighs quite a bit more (3 lbs. 11 oz. compared to the FS120 which is 2 lbs. 2 oz). To help compensate for the added weight of the engine, I was going to put the elevator and rudder servos in the tail. I didn't do all the calculations (i.e. weight x arm = moment CG stuff) to see how this would do.

Second, with the G26, the standard back plate is a little over 4" wide which is about the width of the Sportster 90/120 firewall so I saw that as something to deal with; either make the width of the backplate narrower or leave it and have just engine (no cowl/nose) ahead of the firewall (which wasn't very appealing).

Third if all that worked out, there was the issue of perhaps changing the landing gear to get enough prop clearance.

Those are the primary issues I saw. If I had more than one of these kits (I don't), I may have tried it but still, I think for me it's too much of a risk for making a mess out of things going with a gasser.