RCU Forums - View Single Post - Debonair finished
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
scratchpc7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Debonair finished - updated report

Finally got a chance to take the plane up again. I probably should not have put the eagles on the wings, dogs would have been much better as this thing is truly a dog. As I hold it up, it has to be all of 7 or 8 pounds. I followed the directions on spadtothebone, used 4 mil coro, american gutter pipe (probably some of the problem) and it is still a tank.

Enough on that. Got the ol' MDS fired up, set it up so it was running good. (so far there is a fine line between too rich and too lean. Hopefully will get better) Taxied onto the runway and let 'er rip. Again there was the nice scale Cessna 152 takeoff, followed by a slow scale-like climb. Got it up and got it trimmed out and then the Mostly Dead Stick lived up to its name, and down it came. What was a good idle for a short time had become too lean. Reset the idle and took 'er up again. Same takeoff.

All in all it does fly nice and stable, landings are a breeze, with the high wingloading this thing will never float, but it does a nice flare. One the second flight, after my touch and attempt to go, it did not get up fast enough and hit the weeds at the end of the runway. Busted, one nylon landing gear bolt. I fixed it and them waited for the student flier that never arrived.

Meanwhile....got to fly my quick little ugly stick made from a converted Q500 racer. A quick way to burn 6 oz. of fuel with a ASP .40, Macs Quiet Pipe, and pylon 83/4 7 prop.

Later