RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Pup Has Begun!
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
nomma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Pup Has Begun!

Thanks! (But I am building a new undercarriage using profiled steel tubes like the original. I am not satisfied with this solution).

I made the metal bits using mainly time, steel sheets (1/64 and 1/32 inch) and silver solder. Mostly time...

My work process is like this: The Jim Kiger plans have dimensions, so I draw the metal brackets in CAD and print them out (my very simple desktop printer is accurate enough). Then I use spray glue to attach the paper templates to the sheets. I cut them out, punch and drill the holes, bend them (hard to do correctly) and silver solder. The hardest part is often to hold the pieces together at the correct angles while soldering. And to solder several pieces together - the old seams melt and fall apart. After cleaning, I use a spray primer and then airbrush the brackets with an acrylic dark gray color (do not use black - it looks just too black on a model). I finish the thing with tiny screws and nuts and some weathering (washing with dirty water and adding dust, rust and oil residue. Last thing is to add a clear coat for protection.

In the tailskid area I also used brass tubes and some other stuff. I have found that using thick CA with accelerator produces perfect dummy welding seams!

Good luck!

Magnus

PS This is a pic showing the armoured seat (extremely small - you just wonder what they tried to protect). I may have done it too worn - maybe I will have to redo it when the cockpit is ready.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25049.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	112701