RCU Forums - View Single Post - FM or PCM??
Thread: FM or PCM??
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FM or PCM??

ORIGINAL: aviti

I've been reading these debates for years. The beginners are right, its just plain confusing and you don't know who to trust. I started flying on AM in 1981. Then I switched to PPM in 1984 and I saw less glitching when I rubbed metal to metal near my receiver. But I could still see some glitchs when I hooked a glow plug connecter up as I fiddled to get it locked on. A few years ago I decided to give PCM a try. Now I see no glitching when I had "metal" or electrical noise. Also, with digital servos, PPM receivers make them chatter, PCM does not.

I'm not looking for an explaination, I'm just saying that I am more confident that if there is a source of RF noise, PCM will be better. There's gotta be a reason that PCM can better handle a gas ignition system than PPM. I don't think a guy can go wrong with PCM. I'm sure another engineer type will dispute all this with 50 theories, but I've gotta say, the only planes I've crashed were due to finger glitches, not PCM glitches.....
Your right, it will go on for a long time still, but Multiplex, which is about the best radio system on the planet, decided to stop making the PCM system, I beleive they might know something that even TOC pilots don't know. FMA FMS receivers (PPM ) do not jitter neither.

Roger