RCU Forums - View Single Post - Emcotec Powerbox vs. Powerbus Pro
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Emcotec Powerbox vs. Powerbus Pro

ORIGINAL: Kris^

Okay, time to talk about "technical aspects" of the Powerbox 40-24 units.

Power to the unit is through two external 20 amp switches, that directly switch the battery pack they are attached to. This power is fed to the unit, and DIRECTLY to the servos, with no voltage regulation to the servos (they get whatever the battery is putting out) the voltage IS, however, "balanced" between the two power inputs, with the higher input biased toward to give power, and the lower level input waiting it's turn. This allows both packs to discharge at an equivalent rate.
I like the data on the Professional, although I’m no expert. It all sounds right less the power bias balancing. How is this accomplished? The PowerBox Pro is using the Dual-Power-Control with a dual Schottky diode component in series to the servo buss. Electrons seek the path of least resistance <-, If we assume the switches, diodes and accompanying wiring offers nearly the same resistance the only other factors will be the batteries and or cells combined impedance, or more specifically impedance under load…

Power Routing: Professional

Battery Packs -> On/Off switches -> Dual-Power Control or dual Schottky diode -> servo buss -> servo ports. The only balancing I can perceive is the normal flow of power under the least resistance and highest voltage until such time both batteries are mono-mono. This is more likely to occur under load, unless of course all is equally matched going in…

I would be willing to align myself with the idea that this system offers a better method to maintain balanced power results than the more sophisticated switched-regulated-diode-buss system in play with the PowerBox Compettion and the like.

The "Competition" units (include lithium version) are a bit more sophisticated, using fixed 6 volt regulators to BOTH Servos and Receivers (so the receivers are sharing power with the servos again, instead of being regulated lower) The switch changes to a single "idiot proof" (safety) switch with recessed buttons, and is "Electronic" The box itself still shows the plugs for the older style direct-voltage inputs from two switches, so maybe Michael Glavin can clarify whether the current actually passes through tis "Electronic" switch, or if the switch controls an electronic switch inside the unit itself.
Power Routing: Competition, Duralite Plus and I assume the new Champion

Battery packs -> electronic switches -> regulators -> diodes -> servo buss -> servo ports

The PowerMOSFet electronic switches are remotely operated by the “Sensor” switch, the micro controller will switch on the system when it awakes from sleep mode. These units utilize three power semi-conductors. This system will more likely than not create an unbalanced Conundrum. Typically one regulators output voltage is slightly different (approx. 2%). Therefore the balance between the batteries is affected. The voltage regulator maintaining the higher of the two output voltages will be loaded from the flight system. The second regulator will be loaded less (depending on the current). This means, you’ll never use the full capacity of both batteries. One battery will be depleted earlier than the other in the most cases.