RCU Forums - View Single Post - Minor damage on takeoff attempt
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 06:37 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minor damage on takeoff attempt

I was getting used to great takeoffs and good landings at our field. Lately the takeoffs have become erratic, losing directional control often but getting off OK. I'm not the only one and some experienced people wind up taking off across the runway. The runway is grass and this year we could not roll it in the early spring when it was soft, so I'm wondering if it's rougher than usual.

Anyway, started out straight but wound up going slightly diagonally across and continued the roll and wound up in the weeds. The 4*60 broke in half behind the wing (not the first bay behind the wings because someone warned me they were weak there, strengthen it and the 2nd bay breaks ) Seems like a lot of damage for hitting weeds on the edge of the runway.

Have you ever heard of not clearing the whole area of weeds if you can on a field. We have an area available of about 180 by 650 and we choose to keep 80 by 450 mowed and the rest varies from tall weeds to 1-15 foot spruce trees. This ticks me off because we seem to be damaging or losing two planes per weekend on average and there are only 12-15 of us out on a weekend. Seems like a high amount of damage and I'm beginning to think this isn't the hobby for me!

Any thoughts??