RCU Forums - View Single Post - HELP!!! Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 Kit. HELP!!!
Old 06-24-2002, 04:04 AM
gr8tfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 Kit. HELP!!!

Well, I don't have any experience with the scale version, but I've >600hrs in a 1:1 8KCAB Super Decathlon. I also don't have a feel for your r/c flying experience, but it sounded like your were trying to "pull" it out. If that means holding up elevator, that's going to just aggravate the stall. Then, if you add opposite aileron (while stalled or near stall), any adverse yaw from the low wing will cause it to yaw in that direction, slowing the wing and deepening the stall of that wing - re: start of a spin. Another note: if the model has a symmetrical or semi-symmetrical wing, it will stall at a higher speed.

So - if it's slow and a wing starts dropping, lower the nose FIRST, then try and correct the roll. Maybe this will help, if you decide to rebuild again.

My wife and I flew IAC intermediate catagory with our Decathlon - it's quite a capable plane! I'm looking fwd to building a scale version, someday, but right now, I'm practicing on my WM P-51 (40 size) and will be starting on a DP Extra 330, soon.