RCU Forums - View Single Post - hangar 9 p-51 retract question
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hangar 9 p-51 retract question

If you do a search on Hangar-9 P-51 you will find a number of threads that list the required mods to the landing gear. If you want to keep the H-9 units, they will work very well - WITH MODS. [ul][*] Drill the units out to 3/16" and bend a set of 3/16" struts[*] Check for slop with the gears down and if any is found, shim the stop with a sliver of thin brass or alum.[*] Place a thin plywood shim under the rear mounting rail to 'rake' the gear forward and prevent nose-overs. (If you want to get fancy you can cut 2/3 of the way around the inside of the wheel-well plastic liner with a sharp X-acto to allow the wheels to retract all the way into the wing with the shims in place. - It doesn't show when retracted and the 'cut' is closed when the gear is down.)
[/ul]
It's harder to describe than to do and the modified factory gear has held up for a season + to our rough grass field. In fact I used a set of H-9 P-51 units in my new Staggerwing at 10 lbs (with the mods of course). Sure wish H-9 had done all that to the P-51 and they wouldn't have gotten the bad rep.

quint