RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help setting up receiver in EasyStar
Old 04-07-2004, 06:54 PM
CHEBURASHKA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You'd think you could trust a product name Cheng Teng

It continues.

I tried the esc that came with the plane. I think it was the esc, although it acted like a smoke screen generator. And now I own a brand new esc from a reputable manufacturer.

After getting all of the parts connected (with the only thing from my original airplane being the transmitter) I found that the esc wouldn't work at all. If I turn off the transmitter I get these little surges at the prop from CB interference, and with the radio on the surges stop, but I can't get any power. The battery is charged and everything should be working.

It's a moot point anyway, since the rudder and elevator work in reverse and the crappy radio doesn't have servo reversing. GRRR.

So I have to go back to Ebay and buy someone else's used radio and transmitter. This assuming that the problem with the esc isn't somehow linked to the demise of the original esc.

I was told that this was an expensive hobby, but I never expected to piss away $150.00 trying to get a $30.00 airplane that I paid $70.00 for to fly like a $120.00 airplane. I could have done something more useful with that money, like developing a crack habit.

Is there a simple way to test whether the receiver is putting out signal to the esc? Failing that, is there a way to test the function of the esc while bypassing the receiver?

The upshot of all of this is that I'm wondering if I should just put away my marbles and wait until I have $300 to spend on a reasonable RTF system. My other option would be to scour ebay for a nice used unit from someone who has moved up (4-channel narrow-band FM units seem to go for around $60.00) or a new system with a trainer mode. Is it at all likely that I could get this EasyStar going without having to spend more than $100 on top of what I've already spent?

I appreciate all of your help. If you have any questions about Modernist American Literature I'd be glad to answer them.

Steve