RCU Forums - View Single Post - GWS beaver batteries
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 02:54 PM
bennettjoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GWS Beaver Owner

I am very pleased with the performance of the Beaver. I am a novice builder and flyer of rc airplanes. Ive only recently owned a hobbyzone firebird XL, so my experience was limited. The Beaver flys stable and predictable and at a slow enough speed for me to stay ahead of it. Ive done some tight turns and figure 8's and even one attempt at a loop. The battery was a little weak during the loop attempt and the maneuver ended up with the plane halfway into the loop upside down and stalling. It nosed down and came right out of the loop and became stable again... wheww ! It flies straight and level with little or no trim needed. I have not had any problems with torque of the motor making it fly weird. I had a few hard landings in short grass which broke a propeller, but that is from my lack of expereince and skill rather than the airplane. The wheels supplied are flimsy and plastic, the spokes of the wheel break very easily and make the wheels wobble if not checked and repaired. I would like to find some either foam or rubber wheels which would do a better job on landings but not add too much weight.

I dont have access to a flying club and I am scared of hard surfaces such as concrete, so i find a patch of grass that is short enough for the plane to roll and use it as a strip to land and takeoff. (soccerfield to be specific) the slightly thicker grass on other parts of the soccer field allows for soft landings for a begginer like me.
CAUTION!! if your plane ever noses over or the prop binds in any way, CUT THE POWER FAST !! or you will fry the whole system
any ideas or suggestions on the Beaver, please give input

I would definately suggest this plane to beginners and experienced flyers, its fun!