RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sterling Puddle Jumper 1/2 A RC Air Boat, anyone got one?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Beacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Puddle Jumper 1/2 A RC Air Boat, anyone got one?

I built one of these in 1976. I remember the patriotic decals that came with the model.

I used a Cox engine with an aircraft firewall motor mount and a large external fuel tank running into the hollow stern of the boat. It drove on land exactly like a tail dragging plane. I would run the puddle jumper on a black asphalt street. I had to replace the small diameter rear wheel every ten or so runs, because it would wear out the rubber. It was a real pain waterproofing the front wheel wells, especially around the axles, yet have the wheels easily replacable.

It ran very fast on asphalt, once it built up momentum.

I did not do anything to the ABS hull. It ran fine and survived countless head-on collisions to the cement curb.

When running on water speed wasn't as dramatic. I had to add balast to balance the boat in the water.

The instructions in the box did not mention rigging a throttle to the engine. I used a bent airplane linkage rod that went under the fan shround, and behind the Cox cylinder throttle coller.

Flip-starting the engine was a pain, trying not to break the balsa/plywood fan shroud.

Probably the strangest model I ever built. It did last a long time though. It actually lasted longer than any other plane, boat, or car I ever built. It was still a functional model when I had to throw it away.